Talmadge/Fitzpatrick is committed to advancing legal scholarship and providing practical guidance for lawyers across Washington state.
Our attorneys regularly author articles for law review journals, bar association publications, and other sources on a variety of topics, including appellate law, attorney fee litigation, and attorney ethics. Below is a selection of the publications our attorneys have written.
Law Review Articles
- Philip A. Talmadge & Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, The Lodestar Method for Calculating A Reasonable Attorney Fee in Washington, 52 Gonz. L. Rev. 1 (2017). PDF
- Philip A. Talmadge, et al., Amending Codes of Judicial Conduct to Impose Campaign Contribution and Expenditure Limits on Judicial Campaigns, 25 Va. J. Soc. Pol’y & L. 87 (2018).
- Philip Talmadge et al., When Counsel Screws Up: The Imposition and Calculation of Attorney Fees As Sanctions, 33 Seattle U.L. Rev. 437 (2010). PDF
- Philip A. Talmadge, A New Approach to Statutory Interpretation in Washington, 25 Seattle U.L. Rev. 179 (2001).
- Justice Philip A. Talmadge, The Myth of Property Absolutism and Modern Government: The Interaction of Police Power and Property Rights, 75 Wash. L. Rev. 857 (2000).
- Aaron Orheim, et al., Get Outta My Face(Book): The Discoverability of Social Networking Data and the Passwords Needed to Access Them, 8 Wash. J.L. Tech. & Arts 137 (2012).
Other Secondary Sources
- Phil Talmadge and Tom Fitzpatrick, Chapter X, Attorney Fees and Costs, WSAJ Civil Rights Law Deskbook, 2nd ed. (WSAJ 2017).
- Philip A. Talmadge, Introduction Initiative Process in Washington, 24 Seattle U.L. Rev. 1017 (2001).
- Philip A. Talmadge, New Technologies and Appellate Practice, 2 J. App. Prac. & Process 363 (2000).
- Gary W. Manca and Aaron P. Orheim, Chapter XVIII, Appeals and Discretionary Review, Washington Medical Negligence Deskbook, 2nd ed. (WSAJ 2021).
Selected Other Articles
- Philip Talmadge, When Is an Appeal Appealing?, Washington State Bar News (Jul./Aug. 2021). PDF
- Philip A. Talmadge, Certifying Trial Court Decisions for Review King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin (July 2013). PDF
- Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, Making the Perfect Pitch, King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin (Oct. 2013). PDF
- Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, Ethical Considerations in Advising Clients in the Brave New (Post-I-502) World (Oct. 2013). PDF
- Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, Ethical Issues in Land Use and Environmental Law, Environmental & Land Use Law Section Midyear Conference (2008). PDF
- Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, Ethical Considerations in Dealing with Administrative Agencies, American Bar Association (2008). PDF
- Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, Ethical Considerations in Dealing with Expert Witnesses, American Bar Association (2008). PDF
- Thomas M. Fitzpatrick, The Next Century of Lawyer Ethics: Does the Present System Make Any Sense?, Snohomish County Bar Association (2008). PDF
- Aaron P. Orheim, McLaughlin v. Travelers Insurance Co. – Canons of Insurance Policy Interpretation, Divided but Alike in Dignity?, WSAJ Trial News (Nov. 2021).
- Gary Manca, Sessions for Solos: WSAJ’s Seminar Series Has Much to Offer, DeNovo 12–13 (Apr. 2012).
- Gary Manca, A Search for Political Justice, WSAJ Trial News 19 (Nov. 2011).